1. He left his castle in the sandbox hoping someone might visit it.
2. It was a street added to tendrils in his imagination.
3. Their neighbor’s “hello” weaved past empty boxes stacked in the entrance hall.
4. Summer baked the pavement—heat rose as from a new hell beneath his feet.
5. The girl in the desk ahead glanced to the side, perhaps to look at him.
6. When he reread the note later, he knew he couldn’t give it to her.
7. The dance not even half-way over, he worried no slow songs remained.
8. Her mom called her in, but he stayed in the tree’s vee dreaming her echo.
9. His father stayed shut in his bedroom, and that winter seemed chiefly gray.
10. The red eye of the phone machine blinked, its endless notice persistent.
11. His best friend warned him no one wants to be known as one half of a pair.
12. The cellar door promised cooler darkness—they took the steps together.
13. They would drive separately along highways she’d marked in daisy yellow.
14. Memory is cruel and made him believe what is so was always so.
15. What if other lives cross into this one, creating alternate webs?
16. Amid everything strewn about, nothing seemed accidentally broken.
17. She did his laundry then left his bag wide open on their unmade bed.